We are fortunate to be assisted by a wonderful group of volunteers who play an important role in helping our learners achieve the very best from their learning. Volunteers support in English, maths, digital skills and ESOL classes (English for Speakers of other Languages). Support is also given in classes for adults with additional needs.
Our volunteers work with either individual learners or groups, under the guidance of our tutors. Classes are small and learners work towards Functional Skills and GCSE qualifications.
Reasons volunteers give for working with us:
- Volunteering allows me to give something back.
- I need to get some work experience.
- I’m considering applying for a Learning Support Assistant position and wanted to see if this was a job I would enjoy.
- I am able to use my ability and experience to help other people.
- I can do something that helps others.
- I enjoy the interaction with tutors and learners. It’s a stimulating, friendly environment. It’s good to see positive results in the progress made by learners.
- It’s an opportunity to meet people who are willing to learn.
- I get a sense of helping and the feeling of being part of the community.
What are we looking for?
- A calm and encouraging manner, that will help learners gain skills and confidence.
- Good verbal communication skills and an ability to listen.
- Individuals who are confident in maths and/or English. (We ask for GCSE A*-C grade or the equivalent in order to support in these classes).
- A commitment to support a two hour class once a week, for the minimum of a year.
- A desire to help learners improve their chances in life
Benefits to you:
- Gain skills and experience to access new career opportunities.
- Share your skills and connect with different people.
- Know that you are making a difference.
- It will make you feel good and according to research may help you to live longer!
- You will receive training, travel expenses and time credits to spend on our courses. (one hour of volunteering pays for one hour of tuition, excluding one-day courses and Level 3+).
Please email: email@example.com or Telephone: 01494 475975 for an application form or further information.